Monday, August 8, 2011

Real Madrid Signs 7 Year Old

It's starting to really sink in that I'm never going to make it as a professional athlete. Yes, I'm 30 years old and certainly would not qualify as being in peak physical condition, but ever the optimist I'm still not willing to give up on 'The Dream.' I mean, shoot, there's still the Senior PGA Tour if I can ever get my act together, right? Darts maybe? Mountain Top! Anyhow, professional athletes keep getting younger and younger (relative to me at least). You've got guys who were born in the 1990s making a difference in numerous sports right now, and if that wasn't bad enough, now there's this kid:
Photo Credit: informaciondelsur.com
Meet Leonel Angel Coira, or "Leo" as he's now known. Leo is 7. No, not number 7. He's seven years old and is the latest signing for soccer superpower Real Madrid. Not much to look at, but obviously the Argentinian-born prodigy stood out as apparently Real Madrid wasn't even the only top club looking at him. I'm convinced the hair has to play a role as well. Otherwise, how did this guy never get picked up?


I think that's 8 year old Smitty who, let's be honest, wasn't quite Real Madrid material. I can't imagine how good this kid must have been. Or rather, how good he must be. It will be interesting to see how he pans out. Obviously a lot of these youth players never make it, but heck, even if only ONE does, it's a great investment. It does happen too. Iker Casillas, Spain's goalie and the current Real Madrid goalkeeper and captain, started training with Real Madrid at the age of 9. So remember the name Leonel Angel Coira just in case. If he has it his way, he'll be the next Lionel Messi.

No comments:

Post a Comment