Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Why I'm a Terrible Gambler

You would think with as much as I know about sports I would know not to bet on teams just because I WANT them to win, but to actually take the time to figure out if they're the better team. Tonight is a classic example. Ohio State vs Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl. I do not like Ohio State. I don't know what it is about them, but they're just not a team I pull for. Ever. Against anyone. So when my buddy JP, the diehard Ohio State fan asked me if I wanted to bet on the game tonight, I of course accepted and put $20 on Arkansas. Now Arkansas is a very good team, but I didn't really have a lot to support my reasons for picking them. When you consider that Terrelle Pryor is a very similar player to Auburn quarterback Cam Newton, and note that in that game Newton had 328 total yards and 4 touchdowns and the Auburn offense put up 65 points, you could see how maybe picking the Razorbacks would be considered unwise. Whoops. So it probably shouldn't have come as a shock to me that it was 28-7 Buckeyes in the 2nd quarter. But because sports are cruel sometimes, the sports gods let Arkansas come all the way back to make it 31-26, block a punt in the final minute and recover it in the redzone... and then turn the ball over for the first time all game. !#)*@%@!!!  And now I'm out $20. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment