Saturday, March 3, 2012

Some Advice For LeBron Courtesy of Jimmy McGinty

Miami Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra needs to channel his inner Jimmy McGinty and give LeBron James some advice courtesy of The Replacements. Yes, it's a football movie, but I think it's a nice parallel.

First the movie version:

Photo Credit: deliberationroom.com
Jimmy McGinty: Falco! If I had wanted Cochran to have the ball I would've called it that way!
Shane Falco: I read blitz.
Jimmy McGinty: Bullshit! I put the game in your hands... you got scared.
Shane Falco: I READ BLITZ.
Jimmy McGinty: Winners always want the ball... when the game is on the line.

Now,  the Miami Heat version:
Photo Credit: offthedribble.blogs.nytimes.com
Spoelstra: LeBron! If I had wanted Haslem to have the ball I would've called it that way!
LeBron: I saw the double team.
Spoelstra: Bullshit! I put the game in your hands... you got scared.
LeBron: I SAW THE DOUBLE TEAM.
Spoelstra: Winners always want the ball... when the game is on the line.

Look, passing to Haslem against the Jazz last night was not a bad basketball play. James was being double teamed, Haslem was open, and that 18-20 footer he took is a shot he usually makes. But at some point, James needs to realize that he's the best basketball talent on the planet, and when he's in a zone like he was last night (8 for 9 in the 4th quarter) he needs to be the guy taking that shot at the end of the game. He should WANT to be that guy. When I watch the replay, to me it doesn't look like he was EVER thinking about shooting on the play. Just like the All Star game, LeBron was more willing to defer than he was to step up in that moment and be the man. And honestly, that's probably part of why he hasn't won a title yet. The Heat are not are their best when James sits back and plays passive facilitator. They're at their best when James goes berserk and steps on other team's throats.

Take it from Jimmy McGinty, LeBron: Winners ALWAYS want the ball when the game is on the line. You're not going to win 7 titles on the shooting prowess of Udonis Haslem. Time to step up.

No comments:

Post a Comment